Brief History of the Department of Accounting
The Department of Accounting was established in 1967. It started with a batch of 10 students in the then 3-year degree programme. With the take-off of the Semester system in 1996, the B Sc. Accounting programme runs over a 4-year period.
The Department is located at the Kongo Campus of the University and is one of the four academic Units within the Faculty of Administration. The other three academic Units are the Departments of Business Administration, Local Government and Development Studies, and Public Administration. The Departments of Accounting and Business Administration together constitute what is called ‘the Business School’.
The Department has transformed from a modest beginning into a large academic Unit in the University. Currently, total students population is 1100, drawn from every nooks and crannies of Nigeria and some neighboring West African States, including Niger Republic, Cameroun, Liberia, Serra Leone and Chad Republic. The Department’s admission policy is merit-based and in accordance with the Federal Government admission criteria, with equal opportunity given to all.
It is noteworthy that since inception, the Department has succeeded in training thousands of graduates. Many of its alumni are now occupying responsible positions as accounting practitioners and educators in several establishments both nationally and internationally. Furthermore, the B. Sc. Accounting programme of the Department has since received and still retains the accreditation of both ICAN and ANAN.
It is also worthy of mentioning that the Department is very much committed to staff development. Presently, there are 17 academic staff members at different stages of their Doctoral Degree programme within and outside the University.